About

Why is it that people who are in true recovery from alcohol and drug addiction seem to be some of the best examples of how to live life the right way?

Sunday, May 2, 2010

KISS

(a letter to me)
My way is one day at a time. KISS. "Keep it Simple Stupid", some of these posts on this blog are just too wordy, too long winded, frankly, I get bored. That's ok. do your thing.
I am content.
No desire to drink for years and years now.
Will never ever forget the retired recovering Alkie who used to attend all the daytime meetings, chairing at least one a month, at Perry Street Workshop (AA) NYC back in the early 1980s. As we left a meeting he would recite "If you don't like what you heard at this meetin'...there's another one here in an hour...DON'T DRINK TODAY, GO TO MEETINGS,ALL THE REST IS CONVERSATION"
That sunk in.
Works for me.
I live in so called "3rd world" (Real World)..have friends my age 60+ and older who are illiterate, some of them in recovery for years. Never have to "explain" their philosophy, we just ask one another.."Good 24 hours?"
Don't THINK too much....
dangerous for any alkie....
Happy roads to sobriety. Adios.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(my response)
I can respect your way of recovery which keeps it simple and works it one day at a time. I know of many people with long-term recovery who are satisfied by this. I also know of people, like myself, who are excited by self-discovery and like to dig into themselves a little deeper. I just have to remember that this knowledge is only enlightening - it will not prevent me from relapsing on its own.
A spiritual awakening over time would be best, but if you don't believe in it at least believe in a self-awakening over time. That is how I find my serenity in sobriety. If I just take things one day at a time, I don't see how I can continue the transformation into the person I strive to be as time moves on from day to day.
I was at a meeting about a year ago where this guy shared about his 47 years of sobriety. I asked him "After all of this time, do you still discover new things about yourself?"
He looked at me a said that he “has never learned anything new about himself since the day he began his recovery".
I didn't ask him, but I wanted to say "Do you think that maybe if you did try to get to know yourself a little better you wouldn't still need to make meetings after 47 years?"

No comments:

Post a Comment