About

Why is it that people who are in true recovery from alcohol and drug addiction seem to be some of the best examples of how to live life the right way?

Saturday, May 14, 2011

A CLEAN TIME ISSUE

There is an issue that I have seen come up at many 12 step meetings and I just saw mentioned in another online group discussion. There was a person sharing about how upset she was for being put down by others in recovery, because she is still on methadone. Here's the comment I posted about it - 

I feel bad if people are putting you down over your methadone use. No one should do harmful things like that to anyone trying to find recovery. No ones path is going to be exactly the same, since we all have somewhat different issues to tackle. At the same time you have to consider how certain recovery groups will view what your doing, IF you try to claim ’clean time’ while still on it. Many members (me included) would feel somewhat uncomfortable about it. Still, I would in no way shoot you down, or discourage you over it.
Beyond that one issue, there is no reason why you should not be fully involved in groups and anyone’s problem with it should be ignored. This issue should also not stop you from your recovery journey - making meetings, having a sponsor, doing step work, ect.
Hopefully you can get off meth maintenance (by a gradual lowering of dose and finding non-narcotic pain management medicine in the near future.
Good luck to you.

(continued discussion from my facebook group)

ML - This is a great message. What some of the members don't realize is that comments like this can sway a member into thinking, "I might as well give this up and go back to my REAL drug of choice." Foget all this A.A. NON-SENSE. Judging is dangerous business. PLEASE let's keep our opinions to ourselves and not be doctors. I do my very best to sponsor from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. THIS NEW GUY MAY BE ON THE PATH TO GETTING WELL NOT STAYING HIGH.

Steven Meer - I've been at meetings where members have been very cruel to people in this situation. I don't see a problem if you talk to the person after the meeting and offer some advice in a kind, supportive, non-judgmental way (as in maybe waiting till you can truly celebrate clean-time, but feel included in every other aspect of the program). If they still want to count it a clean time - I would let them. Unfortunately, I've seen these people verbally attacked during the meeting - a few times causing them to walk out in tears. Methadone usage can be a necessary step for some in the beginning of their road to recovery.

ML - Well said. Hopefully talking about it here will make some step back and not judge.

Steven Meer - We can only hope - some people seem to have closed minds though. Don't they realize that in addition to hurting others, they are also limiting their own ability to have a healthy, successful recovery for themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment