About

Why is it that people who are in true recovery from alcohol and drug addiction seem to be some of the best examples of how to live life the right way?

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

KB part 9

KING BABY by Tom Cunningham
First published July, 1986.
Copyright © 1986, Hazelden Foundation.
(part 9)

There's a beautiful poem called "The Request and the Response" that describes the feelings King Baby has when he realizes that through all this suffering he has been most richly blessed.

The Request and the Response
(A Universal Prayer of Thanksgiving)

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve,
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey. I asked for health, that I might do greater things,
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things. I asked for riches, that I might be happy,
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men,
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God. I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I had hoped for, Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered, I am among all men, most richly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment